Friday, October 4, 2013

Pre Regional

Once again I am falling behind on my blog.  Today was a very big meet for us.  We hosted Pre Regional meet on our new home course at Haggen Oaks Golf Course.  The course was in great shape and the meet management (Sports Commission, SRA and Coach Van) did a great job of putting on a top notch event.

On the guys side I felt that we competed well.  It was a huge positive step forward for our men.  Reese Byers had a very solid race running a PR 23:46.  The rest of the crew grouped up and stuck to the plan.  The fact that we were able to execute the race plan was the key for me.  This was a race that we can build upon.

The ladies battled hard and ran very well.  The race went out fast and we have not done enough specific work to handle that kid of pace yet, but it is not too far on the horizon.  Our splits showed it and we payed the price a little.  They still hung in there and continued to move up throughout the race.  I am excited to see what they can do 4-6 weeks from now.

I have been torn on balancing knowing how important this race was in the sense of running against some of the top teams in the Region and confidence for the team moving forward and wanting to be ready for November.  I opted to stick with the plan and trust in the fact that we will be ready for November.  It was a hard pill for me to swallow today knowing we can do better and it was the workouts I have given them that did not have them prepped for the race today.  But I believe everyone is on board and trust in what we are doing.

I was very proud of the way the kids ran today and I am excited to see what they can do moving forward.  We have a good group and things are starting to come together.  Its crazy to think how far we have come since our first meet and I am even more excited to see how much further we can go.

This week coming up will be a good week of training.  Starting Sunday with our long run and we will have two very different workouts on Tuesday and Friday that will should be great prep for what is to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment