Saturday, February 14, 2009

Team Culture

So I have officially been in McPherson for 2 weeks 2 hours and about 17 min. The first two weeks have been a journey for sure. I have inherited a talented but very small team who just need some direction and will become a much better team.

My first week here we had a meet and I wanted to see how they conducted themselves at the meet and how they went about warming up and cooling down and racing and eating etc.... How mentally prepared they were to race when they step on the line and how good were their race tactics. Well lets just say we have a long ways to go and I took a lot of little things for granted while I was at Allegheny and DePauw. There is no Sr. leader who just knows how to do a lot of the little things because when they were freshman someone taught them.

I also am going to have to break these kids down and build them back up. A little like Gene Hackman in Hoosiers. There is lots of talent they just don't know the fundamentals . It is going to be an exciting journey and a challenge they I am up for and so far the athletes are up for.

No comments:

Post a Comment