Saturday, February 14, 2009

first team meeting

My name is Joe Eby, I am very excited to be here today and have the opportunity to lead this team into the future. I wanted to have this meeting to let you know where I stand from the start. I want this to be your team, so you will set the direction but I want to give you some guidelines. I not only want this to be a competitive team in the conference but at the national level as well. Everyone who is willing to put the time and effort in to becoming the best athlete they can is welcome on this team and I will do everything in my power to help you reach your goals. But remember that this is not a club sport this is collegiate athletics and I want you to treat it as such. This school and this program can be successful. I know what it takes to build a successful team and I want each and everyone of you to help shape a be a part of it. But I also want the commitment from each of you to make this the best TEAM that we can.

I am a big believer in athletics as a life style. To me this means a proper well balanced diet, at least 8+ hours of quality sleep a night, meaning going to be around the same time every night and getting up at the same time every morning. No drugs whether recreational or performance enhancing and no alcohol. Having said that I am not naive to thing that college kids do not and will not drink alcohol but there is a time and a place and in season is not that time and place. If you are under the age of 21 keep in mind that it is illegal for you to ever drink alcohol so be mindful of your decisions.

For most of you I am not going to intervene in your training. Your event coaches are the experts in there area and it is going to stay that way. There will be a few minor tweaks to some procedures but not major changes. The distance and mid distance and long sprints will see the greatest change and we will talk about that in a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment