Friday, June 25, 2010

Learning opportunities

So my plans of going to USATF meet did not go as smooth as I was hoping. Like everything in life other things poped up and a miss communication left me driving solo up I35 to Des Moines by myself. The drive went by a lot quicker than i thought it would. I arrived in time to watch the Women's Steeple prelims, which B Fran dominated and I am very excited to watch her run the final, and the 800 prelims. During some of the sprint races I saw Salazar walk by and we saw him sitting on the turn with the 10k's coming up. I thought it would be interesting to listen in to him while the race was going on and after the races, so I wondered over a sat a few rows behind him. Michael Johnson also happened to be sitting a few rows behind me.



I am very glad I went to sit behind him during both the men's and women's races. It was interesting watching him interact with his athletes during the race and hearing the small feed back him gave them after.

I also had a chance to sit down and talk with my friend Brad Hunt, who is the assistant coach at the University of Virginia. He gave me some great ideas about working with long sprint/mid distance guys and working on building "volume" without always doing longer runs. Something I had never thought of before.

All in all it was a great day and something I learned a lot from. Its funny that you can learn new things when you least expect it.

No comments:

Post a Comment