Thursday, January 28, 2010

What a difference a year makes

Two more days marks my arrival in McPherson last year. I remember leaving Meadville and its 30 inches of snow in the rear view mirror and Becky and I headed west for Kansas. Not really knowing what we were getting ourselves into but very excited for the future and our new start all by ourselves in the mid west. I arrived at McPherson with the assumption that all college teams were as serious as the programs I had been a part of or at least could easily be turned around into championship teams. I quickly found out that this was not the case. Almost on a daily basis I fought with people on the team trying to do things that I took for granted before I came to KS. Things like showing up for practice on time, doing a warmup, doing a cool down, actually coming to practice. I had some very hard weeks and some very hard days all of which were great learning experiences. Are things perfect today, no, will they ever be perfect, doubt it, are they better, much much better. Last year I dreaded going to practice just knowing someone was going to try to pull something or there would be some sort of confrontation. This year I love going to practice, we have a great group who works hard. Next Thursday we will have a meeting to decide who our team leaders are and what our goals for the season are. I am excited to see what this group can do, we have a lot of motivated people who want to do well for the team. It is an exciting time to be a part of McPherson College track and field.

No comments:

Post a Comment