Thursday, March 12, 2009

Inspiration




My mom bought me a John Wooden book for my birthday. First off the dude can flat out coach. I have picked up big time lessons off of each page. Almost everything the man writes is inspirational. I find myself just wanting to read this book all the time.

His big thing is SUCCESS. Not winning or loosing but being as successful as you can be, doing the very best you can in practice day in and day out. I have found myself gravitating to this the past few years. If I work with my team and prepare them the best I can do run the best they can when it counts that is all that matters. He also speaks of holding tight to your principles and being true to who you are. This is something that I have been struggling with more than I have in my life as of late, how strong do I put my foot down on things and what do I let slide. I need to make sure that I do not feel like I am being taken advantage of and putting the team first. Wooden was very big into making good decisions for the team and what is best for the group. This is definitely the direction I want my teams to head in.

Be a team, work as a team to be the best we can. If we are the best we can be and work at that goal on a daily basis we will be successful on the track but more importantly in life. I need to make this very clear in the recruiting process so that I am getting the people on the team that will buy into the system. So far I feel that I have done a good job of this. I also feel that the majority of the people on the team are buying into this as well.

I have also gotten inspiration for some recruiting pieces for next year. I am going to stick with the success theme, more to come on that I cant give all my secrets away :)

No comments:

Post a Comment